Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes
Magnificently capturing the shapes of Islam, this acclaimed book that inspired curiosity and conversations about world religions and cultures is now available in paperback. From a crescent moon to a square garden to an octagonal fountain, this breathtaking picture book celebrates the shapes-and traditions--of the Muslim world. With stunning illustrations, a rhyming read-aloud text, and strong backmatter, Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets will inspire questions and observations about world religions and cultures, and is equally at home in a classroom reading circle as it is being read to a child on a parent's lap. - A BOOK ABOUT MUSLIM CULTURE, CREATED BY MUSLIMS: There is a desperate need for books about diverse cultures, created by people originating from that culture, including books about Islam and contemporary Muslim life. Both the writer and illustrator identify as Muslim: The illustrator is Iranian and lives in London, while the writer is Pakistani American and lives in Rockville, Maryland.
- COMPELLING AUTHOR: Hena Khan is a dynamic, charismatic speaker, who does 40 school, community center, and mosque visits a year, and regularly sells out spaces that hold 300+ people. She is active in her local Muslim community as well as the larger Muslim writing community, regularly speaking on panels and attending conferences.
- AWARD-WINNING ILLUSTRATOR: Mehrdokht Amini received the 2016 Children's Africana Book Award for her book Chicken in the Kitchen and has been nominated for the prestigious Kate Greenaway medal.
- AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO COUNTER ANTI-MUSLIM BULLYING: There is nothing like reading books to understand another culture and increase understanding and empathy. Perfect for: - Teachers and librarians
- Families looking for books that reflect their faith and identity
- Families who want to introduce Islam or other cultures to children
- Fans of Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns, Night of the Moon, and/or Hena Khan and Mehrdokht Amini's other publishing
- Anyone looking for #ownvoices and #WNDB
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Binding Type: Paperback
Size: 8.90h x 10.90w x 0.20d
Reading Level: 2.8
Point Value: 0.5
Interest Level: Lower Grade
Quiz #/Name: 196903 / Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes
About the Author
Hena Khan is the author of Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors, Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes, Night of the Moon: A Muslim Holiday Story, Like the Moon Loves the Sky, and other books for children. Hena is a native of Rockville, Maryland, where she lives with her husband and their two sons. You can learn more about her at www.henakhan.com.